7A – Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1

Opportunity: Course or continuous workshop dedicated towards career advising.

WHO: Incoming Freshman and Sophomores who consider themselves as "exploratory" at the University of Florida.

WHAT: They are unable to pick a major or end up switching majors at the last minute.

WHY: Many students either pick a random major that "sounds" good however do not have any interest within that field which leave them towards wasting more time in the classes they are enrolled in. 

TESTING THE WHO: Aside from the students who I have interviewed, I have heard many parents of students who aren't even in college already worried because their student shows no interest in a specific career field or makes any initiative towards it. Various students have complained of taking either too arduous courses that make them want to switch majors to finding them boring and not interesting whatsoever. An advisor also mentioned before that it's difficult to advise a student when the student doesn't even know specifically what they want to pursue. 

TESTING THE WHAT: Boundaries would be limited finance towards implementing this course or continuous workshop. 

TESTING THE WHY: This why does not hold into account for everyone but it does account for the 38% of students at the University of Florida who have changed their major within their first year and the 61% of students who have changed their major within their second year. Students not only waste their money from taking courses they wouldn't even need but also waste time from possible internships and developing connections with the right professors, employers and research mentors. 





INTERVIEWS

Erika Alban, 18, Freshman
"I think I switched my majors already 3 times and I'm already thinking of the next one to switch into. Of course I plan to stick to a business major but specifically what is my problem. My advisors aren't that great at giving me advice, I rely on my upperclassmen friends that I met once at a GBM. It's so sad that they're about to leave! This idea is super cool and would honestly help everyone I think, even the students who think they know what they want to do.The only thing though is would it be like The Good Life? Because everyone just hates that class, now THAT's a waste of time!!"

Alexander Karr, 20, Sophomore
"I'm honestly going to be honest here, but I'm ready to start even contemplating about switching my major. I've stepped too much into this puddle that I feel my foot is already sinking in and can't get out. It's hard once you've worked hard to get those grades in those classes that you have to pay for and now it's all a waste. It's not just a financial issue but also a personal issue. I don't want to let my brother or parents down knowing that I just don't want to be an engineer anymore. I don't even know what I'd be doing as an engineer, I don't want to be just working on projects, I want to see my work effecting people directly not through some letter saying thank you. The other issue is I don't even know where to start, all I have to do is go in and tell them where I want to switch into and that's even harder because I don't even know what I want to switch into. It's like I'm walking by barely." 

Jorge Lombardi, 23, Cancer Biologist, Mayo Clinic
"I honestly started off as a pre-med student until my first interview for medical school and got recked in the first 5 minutes. They asked me why did I choose to follow into research and never bothered to shadow or volunteer. I was so caught up with my "career" really it was my major and finishing the classes that I never bothered to understand the importance of internships and gaining that exposure in the medical field as a physician. If I could start all over, I would, I still can't believe how those 5 minutes changed my who career in general. I honestly wanted to become a business major but still stick to premed but something about science called me. Even working here I'm not happy, it just pays the bills soo I guess that's great but is it really?". 

Lina Muñoz, 19, Sophomore
"I started off as exploratory but I had Industrial Engineering for quite some time. My sister is one so that helped alot in knowing what to expect and the possible pay too! I'm honestly glad I was able to know what I wanted or else I wouldn't be where I am right now. I got this co-op internship last Fall for GE Appliances and let me tell you, my resume looks BOMB. Knowing what you want now helps you in the long run and not just that but as a sophomore I can now work and have time for my harder classes since I did the co-op in the first year I was here. That really made a difference for me and led me to make even more connections and nail down the fact that this is what I want to do for the rest of life. I love it and honestly hope this idea can help many students because UF really does have SOO many connections and great ones too and its sad that many students have to miss out because they don't know exactly what to go into."

Paola Guiterrez, 22, Senior
"I definitely think this idea can really help a lot of students especially for those going into pre-professional fields. By the time you apply to them, they already expect you to have all these internships and experiences so they know you are getting into what you want to know. I mean I'm just an architecture major but knowing that this is what I wanted, it helps out so much in being able to intern at my dad's friend's firm. I actually understood what I was getting into that it made class a whole lot easier too into knowing what I'm applying into the real world. The world out there isn't a joke but I feel ready and I couldn't have done it if I didn't know what to do. I'm going to be graduating soon and I already have three offers and they literally want to pack me up and ship me off to their headquarters. If I hadn't known what to do, I would've waste these last four years for nothing and my scholarships too!"


From the conducted interviews,  I believe this opportunity is highly importance and holds a high chance of possibility. I also realized to consider of how the curriculum would be or even possible program outline to make sure it's nothing like "the good life" where already I've heard so many complains of. This definitely makes me a little more nervous on how it'll all unfold but the postive support from the interviewees leads me to believe this is a need for the 61% of students who have waste two years of their professional careers. Experiences converts into knowledge and in their careers it could hold at stake their possible asking pay. 

Comments

  1. I think the way you set up the interview, by detailing their age and year, was smart so that the reader knows how far into college the students are. I think the idea is good because I have friends who recently had to declare their majors as they were exploratory before, and they’re still not completely satisfied with what they’ve chosen. If there was an opportunity for more career advising, they might not have wasted as much time with random classes as you pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the opportunity you chose, and I totally agree that there should be some better way to help students with specifically career advising. I like the structure of your interviews, and it was especially helpful that you included their age and year to add more context to their opinions. I like how you used the idea of this class not only to help students indecisive about their majors, but also about how to find internships and career options once they've decided their major.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great opportunity idea and I definitely would have benefited from something like this if it was available to me early in college. I am very impressed with this post. Your post is very clear and well written. You thoroughly tested and reviewed your hypothesis and I agree with your conclusion. It would be nice to take a class to discover passions and interests in different careers before deciding on a major and I think a lot of younger students would benefit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment