8A – Solving The Problem

Selected Opportunity: Incoming freshman or former undergraduates do not pick their intended major or have not "discovered" it yet. As student's do not know of such final decisions, this opportunity leads to a loss of time spent on just deciding a major when they could have already found internships or build their curriculum around their desired and "suited" major. 

Product/Service: Designing a course that guides students throughout the different majors and/or professional tracks provided at the University of Florida. It would be a mandatory course such as the "Good Life" course. This course would be only 2 credits or 3 even to ease students into an interesting course that can pair them with a "mentor" or TA varied by majors to answer any questions they may have about the career path. This course is perfectly suited as it would be taken along with other credit hours without the course load impeding on their other "main" weed out courses in order to get them adjusted. It's better to build our students and set them on a solid base and let them continue on from there than just let them take a leap of faith. 

Comments

  1. I think that this is a good idea, but I don’t know how it would make you a profit. If anything, it would make the University a profit because they are mandating another class for all students. I don’t necessarily think that it should be mandatory for all students either, as some know what they want to major in from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe this is a very good idea. Many students don't really know what they want to study in college for a while and lose their time and money. What I don't agree with, however, is that it should be mandatory. Some students actually do know what they want to study and pursue as a career so I think it would be unfair to them to take this kind of class. Other than that, you did a great job finding a solution for you opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea for the course, and I do think it would help students pick a major best suited for them. However, I don't think the course should be mandatory, as if it was I think it would be looked down upon similarly to how Good Life is, and students wouldn't put their full heart into the course like they would if they took it voluntarily out of a need for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment