9A - Testing the Hypothesis, Part 2

Inside the boundary: 
  • Students who are interested in either finding or reassuring their majors/career path. 
  • The need for this course is critical as 61% of students change their majors at the University of Florida by their second year. Within their first year, about 32% of students switch their major but even then, it’s not guaranteed they switched into something they want or conformed with.
  • This need exists because as over achieving students come in from high school, they enroll straight into critical tracking courses and don’t have effective resources that can help address this issue. For example, although there are various advisors on campus to help out, there’s not enough “aid” towards gearing students into their suited career path based on their interests.

Outside the boundary:
  • Students who already know what they want or have decided on a major and are set for it can opt out of this course but it relies heavily on them. OR Students who have already taken 60 incoming credits can opt out as many have already taken general credits that sort of can suit them into what interests them (of course this is not always the case). 
  • The need isn’t necessary in terms of it being mandatory but it is the additional support that can bridge the gap between students and their life decision because a career path truly can be a passion or even a platform that they’ll be able to expand their professional career from. 
  • Some alternative explanations are that there is enough provided resources such as advisors and even the CRC’s CHOMP program where you can take a “personality career assessment” to determine what professions seem most suitable to you. It also provides a job description and even salary. However, based from my interviews, students who have used this, including myself have found it not as accurate as it can be. 

Interviews:

  1. Juan Villegas, 20, Sophomore
“For the past two years I’ve been stressing consistently with my classes, Engineering isn’t easy at all. I thought it’d be a breeze with my incoming Calc credit from high school, and I took some introductory engineering courses for dual enrollment. I regret confiding too much in myself and in this school, UF isn’t easy but it is worth it but it’s STILL HARD. I would take that class any day, easy A, I’d honestly be interested for once in learning about other majors as well and even getting to know other students too.” 
  1. Katy Williams, 21, Junior
“I’m honestly happy I knew what I wanted from the beginning but I do feel bad for those who don’t know. Like my roommate, I’ve always seen her in business and she told me she decided computer science because “oh women in STEM”, so I guess she chose it for appearance only really and not because she cares. That’s something also a lot of people make mistakes on when they click on what major they want to do when they get to college applications. I have a little sister, and she’s been anxious to start applying to colleges soon (she’s a current junior in high school) because she already decided on being a veterinarian. I told her it’s not as easy as it looks but if you’re willing to put in the effort and you KNOW that’s what you want then yeah go for it. I don’t think I’d take the class, not that it’s bad or anything, it’s just as a pre-vet student and based on my experience, I could take an animal science course and learn more from that then waste my time and scholarship money on a class I don’t really need. My sister definitely needs it, she’s changed her “major” like 3 times this last year and she hasn’t even started applying!”
  1. Watson Soore, 19, Freshman
“If the class is available this summer, I’ll definitely sign up! Oh please let me know! I think maybe the courses should be offered just the first year of students, I mean I know I’m for sure pre-law so I know what I need to do, my family is filled with them so I’m already on the right track. How would the course load be? Are there exams? Curves? How much is it again? I think a lot of students would sign up, I’m assuming it’d be an easy A right?”
  1. Kaylee Bale, 20, Sophomore
“Sometimes it does get hard like classes start to build up stress within you and you don’t know what to do. Sometimes I honestly question my major, I’m not pre-health or any sort like that but I am a biology major. I’ve taken all the chemistry courses and the first biology course and I really like it. My mom told me I should be a doctor but I don’t know if I’d even be good at doing that. I think maybe for now, I’ll stick to this but I don’t know if I really like these classes, I just find them boring sometimes. I already fell asleep in my class last week and my professor caught me! It was so embarrassing. While I’m struggling to stay awake, my friends who are premed or even Engineering already have their resumes more appealing than the preview food UF showcases in the summer. Like it’s THAT good” 
  1. Alan Quan, 22, Senior
“I honestly just went along with my major when I signed up, I guess I was lucky. I ended up really liking what I do and just last summer I decided to go pre-med. I’ve been a biochemistry major because I thought it sounded nice on the application, it just sounds cool you know? After my first chemistry class, I honestly really liked how it all fit into place like they go hand in hand with both combining science and math. It’s the best of both worlds. The only thing though is keeping your GPA up is a bust. If it’s anything like the Good Life, I think this course should pass. If it’s cool and interesting like appealing to students I’m for sure thinking you’ll have so many people sign up, especially for the easy A. 

Reflection:

Personally, the interviews allowed me to see another perspective: those who do NOT have the need but can see how to take advantage of the need, the easy A. For all it’s worth, it’ll generate more money to UF however, it’ll fill up spaces in classes and limit seating which won’t let the students, who DO need it, take it. 

Comments

  1. I like that you included statistics to show the percentage of UF students that change their majors. This shows that there is an actual need for this product/service. I also think that having your interviews word-by-word is a good idea so that we can get their full opinions on the topic, rather than just a quick summary of their stance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your use of statistics like last week to not just show a need, but to provide evidence to back it up. I also liked your interviews and how, like last week, you interviewed students from all years and looked at how that made a difference in their opinions on the subject. I also think it was smart analysis to discover the idea of this class simply being taken for an "easy A," and how you were able to factor this into your boundaries.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment