25A – What’s Next?

What you need to do. 
Existing Market. 
Step 1: 
The next step would be to start recruiting the successful upperclassmen in each major offered at UF. 
Step 2: 
Axel Rodriguez, Sophomore, Anthropology
"I wish this really would exist right now. I switched my major for the third time now and I mean huge changes. I went from Computer Science to Biology on the Nursing track to Anthropology and even then I don't know if this is what I want. I like the classes, they seem cool but I don't know if I'm really into it you know? I think the next step for you is finding the successful students who had that major we may have questions on. What's the point of asking someone who only just takes classes and doesn't do more for their major?" 
Justin Cho, Sophomore, Telecommunication Productions
"I think you should really look at who these students are, if they're graduate, they may not even bother since they're all living their silicon valley life or wall street life. They're busy, not like us of course, we're stressing on top of stressing on what major to pick and if we'll ever be good. I hope you do find nice ones!"
Nicole Palomba, Freshman, Computer Science
"I really like the price, I mean buying a slice of pizza at Mid costs a lot more than this and it's all unlimited, dang! I think if you start looking at how many students would be interest or perhaps any businesses that would like to use your app to advertise since a lot of students, like a LOT, will be using the app."
Step 3:
I think the continuous feedback from customers will be what's needed that way I won't have to wait until a problem arises when it may be prevented beforehand. In order to grow in my existing market, there needs to be a success in it. Having a testimonial page or section will let students know that it is possible to achieve something especially to be happy with one's major and make something out of it. Most people go after STEM majors or Business majors because of the "job demand" but it's like learning a different language and you must have a genuine interest in it or else you'll be miserable. 
The feedback from the 3 interviewees and future customers showed an enthusiasm that's highly important in this market because the student is willing to collaborate and knows this process won't be as easy as 1-2-3. However, it can be short and a lot more effective than waiting in line for hours to hear the same general advising you'd hear at the Academic Advising Center. 

New Market.
Step 1: 
A more radical different market would be students who are satisfied with their majors. I'd target them to recruit them as being mentors or the "experts" in the majors. As well, this offers only more networking with more professionals throughout the nation if the app were to expand to other universities. 
Step 2:
My venture concept would only keep unfolding and expanding into more networking opportunities if I were to use a radically different market. My venture would be able to continue reaching more stories and sharing the success stories and adding to a more contagious and influential environment. 
Step 3: 
Guillermo Fuentes, Freshman, Criminal Justice
"I just picked this major because all I can think of is detective work. I'm excited with the classes I have, I've had experience as a Police Explorer back in high school where I would shadow a police officer and the duties it entails in the justice branch. I've made a lot of mistakes and I would love to be able to offer my experience so other students won't make the same mistakes I made in their career choices."
 Eric Daron, Sophomore, Neuroscience
"I started off as a BME major and then switched into Neuroscience once it got intense before all the differential equations stuff. I'm glad I did but I wouldn't have been able to if I didn't know how much I love neuroscience. I'm still Pre-Med but my end goal is in Neuroscience as a surgeon but without the right mentors, I wouldn't be where I am today. I'd love to help out the baby gators who are genuinely interested and not just in it for the fad"
Step 4:
I would have never bothered to think of the new market but I now can see the advantage to it. It's including both spectrums into one while offering the same product or service. It's a really interesting technique since both markets at the end of the day will end up joining together into the benefit. 
At first, my expectations of the new market was to expect a clash, like a major clash between those who need it and don't need it. However, by offering the service to both markets, it lets me offer the same thing, not much additional effort needed and still receive satisfaction.  

Comments

  1. I do agree with you that the first step you should take would be to start finding older students that would be willing to have younger students at UF potentially shadow them and learn about their experiences with their respective majors. I also think that the “radically different” market could work because some students could potentially want to go to grad schools and need mentors of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea of having something like a testimonial page, to show your existing market that your service is potentially better quality than others. I think that in something so personal as someone choosing a major, hearing feedback from other students is important in deciding if using your service is right for them. I agree that no harm can come from offering your service to markets that aren't necessarily in need of it. However, I do wonder if there's anything you could add to your service, like for example a major specific mentor program for those who are already decided but want guidance, that would make it more appealing to demographics outside your current one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment