24A – Venture Concept No. 1

OPPORTUNITY
  • My product is a mobile application for matching students with upperclassmen in prospective majors. This app will be specifically for the incoming students and current students at the University of Florida who feel undecided or want to know more information of specific majors. As many students take college level courses while in high school, they don't know exactly what they would like to pursue so they go straight into the major-focused courses once they declare a major that sounds "nice". My service aspires to bridge the gap between the curiosity and the unknown.
  • The market isn't defined geographically since it is a mobile application, the portability allows access wherever, whenever. Demographically, the market would be defined by age range and experience range such as these students all as incoming freshmen, freshmen, or sophomores, and some juniors (rare case scenarios). 
  • Currently, customers aren't satisfied as many of their questions is answered or "solved" by advisors with only general information nothing specific as to what maybe the various majors can offer. They aren't as loyal since it's not as effective but it is the only thing offered on campus that can give them some guidance. 
  • This opportunity is huge, specifically with knowing that over 38% of first year students change their major by the end of their first year and over 61% of second year. A lot of money, time, effort goes into these first two years and if there's no initial interest or perhaps drive within that major then there's no room to improve within that major. 
  • I think this window of opportunity will be open for as long as there is a need. I think this need is very hard to easily diminish all at once and this app won't diminish the problem but it will help reduce that percentage number and costs for many current and future students. 
INNOVATION
  • My mobile app will build the bridge that bridges the gap between being students and opportunities. The app will have the main service offered which will connect interested students in wanting to explore majors with the expertise of an upperclassmen or graduate student who was successful in that major. 
  • Before having all this unlimited access, students must pay a one time fee of 99¢ using their Gator ID as their log in information. This will let them be able to have 24/7 access and get linked with at least one successful student within each major that has graduate or is currently in that major that can confidently declare themselves as "experts". 

VENTURE CONCEPT
  • I think customers, specifically UF students want to be at the top of the food chain, but based on experience you can only go so far with with a GPA, you can definitely go further if you know the right people. Since this app can offer direct connections along with first hand experience in that major, students will be able to feel a more personal connection than just a general advising appointment factor when deciding on a major. 
  • The other competitors would be UF's advising. The only competing factor between their service and mine is the difference of 99¢, quality of information and networking. 
  • My price point is a minimal cost since I know there will be a lot of students who will be interested in this service. The pricing point can serve to make the final shift between customers saying "yes this is the product for me" or simply ignoring it. 
  • I would have the upperclassmen themselves as customer service since students would want a voice they can relate to not just a voice they can talk to solve with a minimal resolution. I'd also have a marketing team of 2 people and 2 developers to help when they can. 
My secret sauce is that I can relate to these students. I know what they want and need and what they're lacking in, and that's the resources to elevate them into a higher and more stable position.

The next step I'd take if it becomes a success is incorporating the success stories of these students who have had success with the app. This will show encouragement to other students who feel "stuck" and serves as a path to continue. 

If this venture is a success, I can apply this into other universities and even community colleges nationwide or worldwide to further expand networking. 


Comments

  1. I wrote something similar to your “secret sauce” section. I think the fact that we are students ourselves and we know the struggles that other students are facing gives our products more legitimacy because we know that there is actually a market and a need for them. I also like the idea of creating a mobile app to match students with others that have similar interests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job overall by organizing and detailing your venture concept well. I think you did a good job showing how your app is tackling the problem of students being unsure about their majors. I do however wonder if your price point is maybe too low for the app, as even if 1000 students signed up, that's only 1000 dollars, which in business terms is relatively low for it being the only source of income. I think you're on a great track though and overall you did an awesome job on this assignment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment